PhD, Anthropology, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 1994
B.A., English (with Highest Distinction), University of California, Berkeley, 1988
- Professor, Anthropology Department, University of Texas, Austin, 2006-present (Associate Professor 2001-06, Assistant Professor 1996-01)
- Senior Fellow, School of Language & Literature, Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS), Albert-Ludwigs-Universitat Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany, 2012
- Director of Science, Technology and Society Program, University of Texas, Austin, 2003-2007
- Visiting Lecturer, Linguistics Dept, University of Bremen, Germany, 2001
- Visiting Researcher, CREDO (Centre de Recherche et Documentation sur l’Oceanie), Marseille, France, 2000
- Faculty, Linguistic Society of America Summer Institute, University of Illinois, 1999
- Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Cognitive Anthropology Research Group, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1994-96
- co-editor, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, 2001-2005
- editorial board member: Language in Society, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Studies in Pragmatics, Encyclopedia of Discourse Studies, Pragmatics and Society
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment, University of Texas at Austin, 2009
- Nominee, Friar Teaching Fellowship, University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- Rachael Dougherty Vaughan Memorial Fund Fellow, UT Austin, 2005
- Fulbright Award Pohnpei, Micronesia, 1992-3
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of California at Berkeley, 1988
RESEARCH SPONSORS (in addition to the University of Texas at Austin)
- National Science Foundation, “Intercultural Knowledge System Dynamics in Complex Services Outsourcing” (co-PI with John Taylor and Sirkka Jarvenpaa), 2007-11
- NTT DoCoMo, Japan, Research Grant: “Mobile Phone Use of Blind, Deaf, and Elderly,” 2006-7
- NTT DoCoMo, Japan, Research Grant: “Societal Impacts of Mobile Phones in 15 Countries,” 2005-6
- Humanities Texas for “Surveillance and You” Public Civic Forum for Austin Community, 2006
- Dell Computer Research Grant for: “How Culture and Technology Together Shape New Computer Tools: Investigating Interactions between Deaf Callers in Computer-Mediated Videotelephonic Communication,” 1999
- Spencer Educational Foundation Research Grant for: “Examining Multi-Modal Conversational and Narrative Interactions of Deaf Children with Hearing Peers at School,” 1999
- Hewlett Teaching Project on Collaborative Learning in Large Undergraduate Classes, University of Texas, Austin, 1998.
- IBM Grant for “Influences of Innovations in Technology on Innovations in Language,” 1998
- Southwestern Bell Research Grant for: “How Culture and Technology Together Shape New Communicative Tools: Investigating Interactions between Deaf and Hearing Callers in Computer-Mediated Videotelephonic Communication,” 1998
- National Science Foundation Grant for Anthropological Research in Pohnpei, Micronesia, 1992-3
INVITED PAPERS AND TALKS (selected list)
- Communication and Culture: Collaborating in Technology-Mediated Work Spaces across Four Continents. 4th International conference Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice, University of Geneva. Keynote address, 2014.
- Identity & Culture Clashes in Cross-Cultural Virtual Collaborations. REID – Revisiting Identity Conference, Örebro University, Sweden, 2013.
- Culture, Communication and Access to a Mobile Sociality, Wenner-Gren Foundation Conference “Linguistic and Material Intimacies of Mobile Phones,” Washington D.C., 2013.
- Transdisciplinary Medical Science: Negotiating Representations and Understandings. LinCS, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2013.
- Collaborating in Technology-Mediated Activity Space, LinCS, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2013
- New Language Games: Collaborating Within and Across Technology-Mediated Activity Space, Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, Germany, 2012.
- Global Collaborative Engineering in Virtual Environments, University of Duisberg, Center for Global Cooperation Research, Germany, 2012
- Virtual Language Realities: Making Meaning in Technologically Mediated Contexts, University of Basel, Switzerland, 2012
- “The Only Game in Town?”: Coordinating Perspectives in Online Work and Play, Linkoping University, Sweden, 2011.
- Matter and Meaning: Investigating Social and Cultural Impacts of Technological and Scientific Innovation, McGill University, Canada, 2011.
- Mediated Action and Talk in Engineered Spaces. Workshop on Language, the Body, and Lived Space. National Institute of Infomatics, Tokyo, 2010.
- “A Full Inspiration Tray”: Interacting across Real and Technologically-Mediated Worlds, Umeå University, Sweden, 2009.
- Getting a Hearing Aid in the U.S., Zentrum für interdisziplinäre Forschung, Bielefeld, Germany, 2009.
- Linked to Devices: Enhanced, Enabled, and Constrained in the Emerging Culture of Digital Technologies, Aalborg, Denmark, 2008.
- “Skills are Social” Spire Partner Forum, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2008.
- Societal Impacts of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, International University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2007
- Productive (mis)Understandings in Interdisciplinary Meetings (a cancer research team), Workshop on Plurilingual Talk at Work, University of Lyon, France, 2007
- Transdisciplinary Medical Science: Negotiating Representations and Building Understandings in Innovating a New Protocol for Cancer, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Business Communication and Information Science, 2007.
- Deaf, Blind and Elderly Users of Mobile Phone Technology, Symposium, NTT DoCoMo, Tokyo, 2007.
- American Sign Language in Virtual Space: Interactions Between Deaf Users of Video Telephone and the Impact of Technology on Language Practices, Gainesville, Florida, 2006.
- Current Societal Problems with Mobile Phone Usage in 15 Countries, Helsinki Mobility Roundtable, School of Business, Helsinki, Finland, 2006.
- Multiple Modalities and Digitally-Mediated Interactions: Consequences for Participation, Language, and New Communicative Competence, Odense, Denmark, 2006.
- Emerging Technologies and Innovation in Everyday Interactions, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Business Communication and Information Science, 2006.
- Current Societal Problems with Mobile Phone Usage in 15 Countries. Symposium at NTT DoCoMo, Tokyo, 2005.
- The Role of Language, Space, and the Body in the Cultural Organization of Power and Status Relationships, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 2005.
- Multi-Modal Communication, Estudios en Comunicación y Cultura, Nacional University, Bogota, Colombia, 2005.
- Social Impacts of New Computer Technologies and How Language and Culture Shape Computer-Mediated Interaction, University of Toronto, 2005.
- Computer-Mediated Communication and a Minority Language Community, University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 2004.
- Macro and Micro Matters: Exploring Connections between Everyday Interactions and the Emergence of Shared Practices for Organizing Social Relationships and Activities, Communication and Interpretation. Wenner-Gren Foundation Conference, Duck, N.C., 2004.
- Problematizing the Notion of ‘Activity’ and its Utility in Studying Face-To-Face, Computer-Mediated Interaction, UCLA, 2004.
- Examining Interactions across Language Modalities: Deaf Children and Hearing Peers at School. The Center for Sign Language and Sign-supported Communication and Department of General and Applied Linguistics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2002.
- New Technologies for Talk-In-Interaction: Innovations in Sign Language Use in Computer-Mediated Communication. Kristina Institute and Research Institute for the Languages of Finland, Helsinki, 2002.
- American Sign Language in Virtual Space: Interactions between Deaf Users of Video Telephone and the Impact of Technology on Language Practices. Communication, Culture and Technology Program, Georgetown University, 2002.
- American Sign Language in Virtual Space: the Impact of Technology on Language Practices. Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 2001.
- New Technologies for Talk-in-Interaction: The Deaf Community, Visual Virtual Language, and Computer-Mediated Communication, UCLA, 2001.
- The Language of Honor in Pohnpei (Micronesia), Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris2, 2000.
- The Role of Language, Space, and the Body in the Authorization of Power and Status in Pohnpei, Micronesia, Centre de Recherche et Documentation sur l’Oceanie, Marseille, France, 2000.
- Looking at Deaf-Hearing Interactions and the Impact of Technology on Language Practices, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, Oldenburg, Germany, 2000.